Monday 29 July 2013

Madonna's twelfth studio album; MDNA (2012).

A little late to the party. In all fairness everything I review is old.




Having recently listened to Madonna's latest album, MDNA, I came to the conclusion it's nothing that hasn't been heard before.

Madonna has always been one of my favourite performers, but never one of my favourite vocalists. Granted, the woman can sing, but her voice isn't strong enough for me to really be amazed.

The first track, Girl gone wild, is one of my favourite songs at the moment. A dance track, it incorporates elements of electro-pop and jumpy rhythms to create an outstanding track. Madonna's vocals are so auto tuned and include effects that they fit perfectly onto the song. Gang Bang is another track I enjoyed. Filled with sound effects and dark pop elements, the track is artistic and listenable, unlike the majority of the other songs featured on the album.

Madonna proves she can also release a mature track that isn't boring and Masterpiece is that track. A ballad, Masterpiece is beautiful and Madge's vocals go well with the track. The other songs to me are just incarnations of what Madonna has done before. The majority of them, such as Turn up the radio and I don't give a (featuring Nikki Minaj's guest vocals) are lyrically non-adventurous and rhythmically boring and simple. To me they are just album fillers. I'm a sinner isn't bad, but I wouldn't purchase it.

Give me all your luvin' (featuring guest vocals by M.I.A and again by Nikki Minaj) is an enjoyable track, although many people I doubt will enjoy it because of it's bubblegum-pop style of musical make-up; with Minaj and M.I.A. reminding us that we are actually in the twenty-first century. 

On the whole the album isn't bad for a fifty something year old attempting to compete with the newly emerging artists; which Madonna has successfully done but a little more effort could have been put into making the album, rather than filling it with tacky tracks. If only the whole track-list was a combination of Gang bang and Masterpiece.

I rate the album:


No comments:

Post a Comment